When there is a rainy day you have two choices: stay inside or go outside.
Rainy Day Hike
Go outside on a rainy day and play. Splash in puddles and listen to the noise. It’s okay to get a little wet.
Adults you have permission to play, too!
Climbing up muddy hills can be tricky. Persistence pays, though.
Who goes up must come down. Sometimes that means you need to slide.
Many trails are too muddy to hike when they are wet, but if you are lucky you will find an open trail.
A trail that surprisingly is not too muddy.
Bountiful oak trees cover the trail. Walking within we are happy to be there. The low clouds and fog set an eerie tone.
Up we go and nearing the end kids happily put one foot in front of the other.
Hiking with friends is all the rage you know.
Got rain? Grab a friend and take a hike!
Tips for hiking in the rain:
- Lighter rain may be more fun than heavy rain. Many parks close the trails when the rain starts. Look for a trail near your house or in a national forest. Light rain may not soak the trails right away.
- Afraid of the mud or heavy rain in the forecast? Walk in your neighborhood and stay on the pavement.
- Kids, rain or shine, like snacks on the trail.
- Dress appropriately. Being wet and cold does not make for a fun time.
- Go for a hot coffee or cocoa after your hike.
How do you feel about hiking in the rain?