Summer is almost here, the hills are drying out and the temps are heating up. Lucky for you California has many places to walk and hike near the Pacific Ocean. Go take a beach hike!
The purpose of this page is to act as a collective database, a resource to inspire you and give you as much information as possible to choose a beach hike.
Since I have not visited half of the beaches in Southern California the list below has links to the very best trip reports from other Southern California bloggers, many of whom I converse with regularly online and some I’ve even met offline. Each of them loves what they do and it shows in their writing.
Listed are hikes and walks of all kinds: easy, strenuous, long, short, flat, and hilly. There’s hikes for families w/kids and some geared towards hard-core adventurers. The one consistency is they all take place on the beach or very close to it.
**This page is often updated.
Beach Hikes – A Collection
- Salt Creek Trail: A short easy south Orange County hike from beach to Canyon (Greene Adventures)
- San Clemente Beach Trail (California Through My Lens)
- Hiking the San Clemente Beach Trail (SoCal Hiker)
- Walk the Dana Point Headlands (Walk Simply)
- Hike to the Sea Cave (Walk Simply)
- Crystal Cove State Park
- Doheny Beach Walk (SoCal Hiker)
- Breakfast and a Walk: Dana Point Harbor (Walk Simply)
- Huntington Beach Walk (SoCal Hiker)
Los Angeles County
- Abalone Cove Shoreline Park (caopenspace.com) - recently added
- Road Trip: Abalone Cove Shoreline Park (Fun Orange County Parks) - recently added
- Bluff Cove, Palos Verdes (Tanama Tales)
- El Matador Beach: Big Boulders and Sea Arches (Tanama Tales)
- Hiking from Cabrillo Beach to the Point Fermin Sunken City and White Point Preserve (Greene Adventures)
- How to Reach the Wreck of the Dominator: Ranchos Palos Verdes, California (The Last Adventurer)
- Point Dume State Beach: The Beautiful Coast of Malibu (California Through My Lens)
- Point Dume Natural Preserve in Malibu (Hikespeak.com)
- Hiking Malibu Lagoon State Beach (Modern Hiker)
San Diego County
- Hiking Scenic San Onofre State Beach (Greene Adventures)
- Carlsbad Beach Walk (SoCal Hiker)
- Cristianitos Fault Loop (SoCal Hiker)
- Tour de Trestles (SoCal Hiker)
- Trestles: Beach Walking for Families in a Surfer’s Paradise (Fun Orange County Parks)
- Cabrillo National Monument and Fish Tacos (Walk Simply)
- Bluff and Tidepool Trail and Secret Sea Cave, Cabrillo National Monument (The Last Adventurer)
- Crest Canyon (The Last Adventurer)
A little Further away
Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties
- A Long Walk on the Beach – El Capitan to Refugio in Santa Barbara (Greene Adventures)
- Carpenteria Bluffs Nature Preserve (Hikespeak.com)
- San Buenaventura State Beach in Ventura (California Through My Lens)
- Catalina Island
- Trans-Catalina Trail Guide (SoCal Hiker)
- Anacapa Island (California Through My Lens)
- Santa Barbara Island
- Scorpion Ranch to Smugglers Cove (The Last Adventurer)
So there you have it? How many beach hikes have you done? Which one is your favorite?